August 30, 2009
The August 2009 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Angela of A Spoonful
of Sugar and Lorraine of Not Quite Nigella. They chose the spectacular Dobos
Torte based on a recipe from Rick Rodgers’ cookbook Kaffeehaus: Exquisite
Desserts from the Classic Caffés of Vienna, Budapest, and Prague.
This month’s Daring Bakers challenge was quite a hit in my house. Dobos is Graham’s #1 cake. Every birthday means a Dobos. He’s tried them from various bakeries in Toronto and Mississauga, each one slightly different. This summer, we were fortunate enough to try Dobos from Demel, the famous Austrian bakery with a branch in NYC.
Graham and I really enjoyed making the cake. We did the buttercream on Friday night and put it in the fridge, then the cake and the caramel on Saturday night. A slice was enjoyed Sunday night, then the rest at our last dinner in Mississauga on Monday night, with Graham’s family.
July 30, 2009
The July Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Nicole at Sweet Tooth. She choseChocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies and Milan Cookies from pastry chef Gale Gand of the Food Network.
May 27, 2009
The May Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Linda of make life sweeter! and Courtney of Coco Cooks. They chose Apple Strudel from the recipe book Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Cafés of Vienna, Budapest and Prague by Rick Rodgers.
Yum! What a tasty Wednesday night treat! Eep… must stop with all these treats! Ah well, this is for Daring Bakers, so it’s ok. Sorry about the bad lighting – it was an icky day here and that continued into an icky evening.
What will be next in June?
May 10, 2009
We had a great run!
Here are our stats… (not sure how this will show)
May 9, 2009
Today Graham and I are running the 10k race, part of the Mississauga Marathon.
It just happens to be crazy weather…
Yup, thundershowers. So far, we’ve seen rain, torrential rain, hail, sunshine, thunder. Keep your fingers crossed for us at 6:30. Afterwards, we’re having a BBQ at my parents’ for Mother’s Day. Pictures tomorrow – have a tasty dessert planned!
edited to add: sorry! formatting got messed up!
May 7, 2009
Last Sunday, I had my first ice cream of the summer nicer weather… one scoop mint chocolate chip, one scoop cookie dough. “Weird flavours”, as Graham calls them. The KitchenAid ice cream attachment is on my birthday list. Until then, I settle for drooling over these ice cream recipes starred in my google reader for future enjoyment!
Yum 🙂 and happy almost Friday!
May 5, 2009
Food blog? What food blog? Today’s post is all about horses.
This past Saturday. Graham and I went trail riding. It was part of his birthday gift last year. Given that he’s about to have another birthday in about 3 weeks. we figured it was time to go! The stables were at a conservation area about a half an hour from our apartment. We went for 12, but that ride was full so we ate our lunch and walked around a little, waiting for the 1 o’clock ride.
Hence the post title. This was an over-the-shoulder shot that didn’t really work.
While the scenery wasn’t all that picturesque, we did see about a dozen deer, not phased in the slightest when we rode* by.
* Disclaimer: these horses were slow. A toddler could walk faster. But I liked it anyway! 🙂
Regular food programming to resume shortly. Night y’all!
April 29, 2009
Yes, I know everyone has the best recipe. Everyone has a theory, too – to chill or not to chill. That is the question. Oh, and what about thin and crispy or thick and chewy? Well, to each their own. That’s my motto about lots of things. But I do encourage you to try these!
CHIPITS® CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- 3/4 cup (175 mL) butter or margarine
- 1 cup (250 mL) packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 mL) granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) vanilla
- 2 1/4 cups (550 mL) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) baking soda
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) salt
- 1 package (270 g) CHIPITS® Milk Chocolate Chips
- 1 cup (250 mL) chopped nuts (optional)
1. Heat oven to 375°F (190°C).
2. In large bowl, beat butter, sugars until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla until creamy.
3. In medium bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt; add to butter mixture. Stir in milk chocolate chips and nuts, if desired. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool slightly; remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely.
These take but a moment to whip up. Graham was getting the pizza for our Pizza & Euchre night with my old roommates. We’d just come back from squeezing in a run, after I was seriously late getting away from my desk at work. Oh, and I’d also just set up our new wooden patio table and chairs from Ikea. And I was half changed – into jeans, but still in my sportsbra, Garmin HRM strap and sweaty top. We got it all done and had a fantastic games night – 3 cookies indeed!
April 28, 2009
I’ve been seeing this on lots of blogs lately, so thought you might like to hear about me!
8 Things I’m Looking Forward to:
- Beach vacation this summer.
- Mississauga 10K in a few weeks.
- My 26th birthday (yes, don’t mind getting older!).
- Getting a KitchenAid ice cream attachment and making my own!
- Catching up on the last two episodes of The Mentalist.
- Having my own garden someday.
- Traveling to tonnes of cool new places.
- Being a mother.
8 Things I Did Yesterday:
- Went to work.
- Had a lunch meeting where I turned down pizza in favour of my packed salad!
- Run with Graham (7k).
- Used my Garmin – love it!
- Made a really tasty salad for dinner – spinach with pecans, apples and aged white cheddar, and a sweet balsamic dressing.
- Ate my Daring Bakers cheesecake. yum.
- Watched DWTS – loved the team dances!
- Read Rachael Ray magazine in bed before bed.
8 Things I Wish I Could Do/Want to Do:
- Find a job that I love and am passionate about.
- Spend more time with my parents and sister on the weekends.
- Go to Hawaii.
- Go on DWTS. Or, just learn how to dance. 🙂
- Skip work tomorrow, read all morning with coffee and banana bread.
- Spend my days on the beach.
- Convince Graham that we should run a marathon.
- Cook on a gas stove.
8 Shows I Watch:
- The Mentalist
- The Amazing Race
- Sarah’s Cottage
- … that’s it
- … all done!
No one to tag… try it if you like!
Do I dare indulge in another mini-cheesecake… maybe a piece of my Lindt dark chocolate bunny… I think I hear the kitchen calling my name.
April 27, 2009
It’s a gorgeous evening in Toronto. Warm breeze, but still. Graham and I stood out on the balcony, letting our skin enjoy the air. After months of sweaters and jeans, shorts and a t-shirt feels amazing.
I’m going to update my running log tomorrow and start posting some photos again, too. We’ve had great meals lately – tasty, inexpensive and quick to prepare. My chef does an excellent job!
Off to bed for now. Night, all!